Pages

Monday 20 June 2016

Johor Trip 2016: Jalan Tan Hiok Nee


25th April 2016 (Monday)

This road takes its name from Tan Hiok Nee, a Chinese merchant who was bestowed the title of “Chinese Major” by Sultan Abu Bakar in 1870 and subsequently  was accorded a Datukship. He started as a textile merchant and ended up as a supplier of fabric and later controlled the market at that time. Tan Hiok Nee also planted black pepper and gambier along Sungai Johor, from Kota Tinggi until the shores of the Tebrau Straits facing Pulau Ubin. He was also the head of the Ngee Heng Kongsi Clan from 1863 till 1873.





Hiap Joo Bakery & Biscuit Factory


This bakery is so famous in Jalan Tan Hiok Nee especially banana cake. They are using traditional ways which is handmade and using charcoal with wooden oven.


The bun and bread are fast selling. Many people recommend try for banana cake. I went here for twice, during morning as we want go to shopping mall so we did not wait for bread baking and came again in afternoon. At afternoon, they just left banana cake so I bought big and small size of banana cake.



Ehhe Art Café

The decoration in this café is nice and it is near with Hiap Joo Bakery & Biscuit Factory. I tried go up to Ehhe Art gallery but the door is closed.


Along Jalan Tan Hiok Nee can see some arts on the building. It is so beautiful! Based on Johor Kaki, he said that those are the works of Pauline, a young artist who works with this café.



The Red House

At Jalan Tan Hiok Nee, you can see The Red House which is a coffee shop. We did not go in but just take some pictures of this building.



The Drums Cafe

24-Festival Drums are based creation on the 24 festivals in the lunar calendar of the Chinese agricultural community. With each drum representing one festival, a full team completes the cycle of 24 festivals in the lunar calendar that or thousands of years has guided the agricultural activities of the Chinese.


My little sister knew how to play of the 24-Festival Drums. When I saw of this café, I think of she. If have chance, I will bring my family especially my little sister to here for café hopping. I saw someone recommend the crepe in this café. Beside this café, I saw others recommend crepe in Maco Vintage.


Post Office

At the end of Jalan Tan Hiok Nee has a big post office. At here, I sent out my postcard and my friends did receive the postcard safety.


This time, I did not buy any postcards but bring Johor food postcard which I bought at online.



Salahuddin Bakery


This bakery owns by Indian. It also use wood fuel fires to bake the bread.




I like its puff. As that time (morning) I was so full so I just bought potato puff for a try. The puff is so cheap because it cost me RM 1.50 for one and the puff is quite big. If next time has chance, I definitely will come here again to try for other puffs.


Actually I had gone here again in afternoon and all the puffs had sold out and just left some bread. I quite regret for not buying many puffs for a try. Now, I am very missing with the puffs. Haha..



IT Roo Café

Before enter into the café, you can see it stated that “The Best Chicken Chop in Town”. It is opposite of Salahuddin Bakery.



My friend treated me dinner at here for my birthday celebration. I ordered for chicken chop with sauce (RM 15). The chicken chop is tender. I like its potato wedges because it is not using French fries. The potato wedges are quite big.


The times we ordered for our dinner, the sky start raining and storming. After dinner, the rain were getting smaller.  


As Johor Bahru Chinese Heritage Museum closed on Monday so I did not have opportunity to visit this museum.

For more food recommendation can try look for blog of Johor Kaki.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, Thanks for comment.

If you do not have any profiles on any of those listed,
please select profile & click "Name/URL",
type in name (leave URL empty)

It's not nice to call you Anonymous so please leave a name.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Klook.com